Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hold up, Jack!

This blog post is an homage to a recent habit I picked up. Pretty sure it's an old man habit. I'm only "like 30" and I spend most of my time at home so I'm not sure where I'm picking up old man habits.

Hmm.. That's hardly introspective of me.

Whatever, Jack! There it is.

I have a cat. OK, I don't have a cat but that's neither here nor there. There is a feline-like creature living in my bedroom. His name is Punky. His friends call him Punkalicious. I call him Jack.. or whatever feels right in the moment. It usually goes something like this:

I return home from fighting the power, usually with food. I enter my bedroom and greet him with pets.. Usually the currency of domestic dogs, but Punky will take pets in small quantities. He doesn't automatically notice that I have food. Once I open the bag, he knows.. Initially all he does is look. Even if I'm not looking at him, I can feel the black face and yellow eyes in my direction. When he realizes I'm actually gonna sit there and eat my food and not offer him any, he decides to do the polite thing and come closer so that presenting him with food will come more at ease. He's not a dog, though he exhibits many dog like qualities. He doesn't just sit on the floor hoping to catch a scrap or two. No, he hops right up onto my table and goes for the gold. My first response is a nudge and a "Fall back, Jack!"

So yeah. That's that. Leave a comment, Jack..

No comments:

Post a Comment